Sutter Street Theatre and The Theatre Production & Technical Academy is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit located on Sutter Street - the heart of Folsom's Historic District. In addition to galleries and specialty shops, within a block or two of our venue you can find over a dozen restaurants (including Thai, Italian, German, Chinese, American and more), three wine bars, and the famous Snooks Chocolate Factory and Ice Cream.
In addition to our theatre, Sutter Street Academy--housed in "The Annex" building directly behind the theatre--provides a wide range of learning opportunities for both casual and committed artists from age five to ninety-five. Our seasoned and talented team of educators offer ongoing courses for acting, improv, singing, Musical Theatre and Visual Arts! Workshop intensives are also available for students.
With seasons that present a host of award winning comedies, musicals, and young people's theatre, our combined theatre experience includes recognition from the Folsom Telegraph, Sacramento Bee, KFBK, Good Day Sacramento, multiple "Best of" awards from Sacramento Magazine (for both former theatre incarnations), and even a mention in the Wall Street Journal! In 2009, our theatre was honored to have the highest number of nominations and wins at the annual Elly Awards for Excellence in Theatre (named after patron of the arts, Eleanor McClatchy).
Performances in our Off Broadway Series are 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays, as well as Sunday afternoon matinees at 4:00pm. Performances in our Family Series are Saturday and Sunday afternoons at 1:00pm and other days and times scheduled for school groups and parties. New this year is our Director's Series with performances Thursdays and Sundays at 7:00pm and Saturdays at 4:00pm. We also bring in other visiting artists to perform. You can visit our online calendar by clicking here.
Connie Mockenhaupt – TPTA Artistic Director, CEO, Box Office Manager, Director, Choreographer
- Holds degrees in Music, Dance and Drama
- Has appeared in numerous musical productions from New York to California
- Directed, choreographed and musically directed over 350 shows, including those for Sacramento Theatre Company, California State University, El Dorado Musical Theatre and Garbeau’s Dinner Theatre, Theatre El Dorado, and The Sutter Street Theatre
- Devoted much of her life to education- teaching dance, drama and music
- Awarded the National Outstanding Dance Educator of the Year
- Original Coordinator for the Natomas Performing & Fine Arts Academy Charter School
- Winner of numerous Elly Awards for excellence in theatre
- A professional musician having played Bassoon for the Sacramento Symphony, Music Circus, and various other orchestras.
Mike Jimena – TPTA Director of Operations
- Co-Director of Mikon Productions
- Artistic career has balanced between visual and performing arts
- Paintings, murals, and set designs have been featured locally, regionally and nationally
- Elly award winner for Set Designs & Lighting
- Work can be seen at B Street Theatre, Sutter Street Theatre, as well as Fairy Tale Town, The California Arts Council and Stage Nine store
- Designed numerous Gold Medal award-winning exhibits for counties throughout California that may be viewed yearly at the California State Fair special awards include Best Design, Best Marketing & Best Animation
- Founding teacher of Natomas Charter School Performing & Fine Arts Academy, creating both the visual arts and stagecraft program
- Recipient of the Wilkerson Fellowship for Arts Education
- Designed and built the Granny Goose Stage for Fairytale Town & the “Komen Promise Wall”
Allen Schmeltz – Artistic Associate, Acting Instructor, Newsletter
- Director (having directed over 40 shows), actor, producer, and instructor
- Founder and former Artistic Director of Garbeau’s Acorn and Oak Theatre for Young People
- Nominated for and winner of multi Elly Awards for excellence in theatre for young people in various categories from directing to acting to technical theatre
- Instructor of private lessons and workshops in theatre arts for young people and adults
- As a local actor, appeared in critically acclaimed productions including “Under Milkwood” and in the role of the Stage Manager in “Our Town”, and Henry in “The Fantasticks”