Directed by Allen Schmeltz
When: Sunday, December 29th at 7:00 pm
Where: Sutter Street Theatre – Annex, 710 Figueroa Street, Folsom, CA 95630
REHEARSALS: Monday – Thursday from 7 – 9:30 pm beginning December 30th. It is possible some weekend rehearsals will be added if needed. This is a short rehearsal period so we will be working hard and fast.
PERFORMANCE DATES: January 25th – February 16th Saturdays and Sundays at 1:00 pm. You MUST be available for all performance dates.
WHAT TO BRING: Please bring a headshot and resume if you have them and any potential rehearsal and show conflicts. This is a non-musical.
The Children’s Literature Association named this “the best American children’s book of the past two hundred years,” and Joseph Robinette, working with the advice of E.B. White, has created a play that captures this work in a thrilling and utterly practical theatrical presentation. The costumes and unit set may be simple or as colorful and elaborate as you wish; it’s the story and relationships that make the show. All the enchanting characters are here: Wilbur, the irresistible young pig who desperately wants to avoid the butcher; Fern, a girl who understands what animals say to each other; Templeton, the gluttonous rat who can occasionally be talked into a good deed; the Zuckerman family; the Arables; and, most of all, the extraordinary spider, Charlotte, who proves to be “a true friend and a good writer.” Determined to save Wilbur, Charlotte begins her campaign with the “miracle” of her web in which she writes, “Some pig.” It’s the beginning of a victorious campaign which ultimately ends with the now-safe Wilbur doing what is most important to Charlotte. This is a beautiful, knowing play about friendship that will give your actors a great opportunity and your audience an evening of enchantment.
Auditions will be cold readings from the script. You can purchase scripts in advance from Dramatic Publishing Company. Be sure you get the full length, non-musical script.
- Charlotte – Female: Teen to young adult
- Wilber – Male or Female: 10 years old to early teen, small in stature is a plus
- Fern Arable – Female: Tween or early teen
- Martha Arable – Female: Young to mid adult
- John Arable – Male: Young to mid adult
- Avery Arable – Male: Teen
- Edith Zuckerman – Female: Young to mid adult
- Homer Zuckerman – Male: Young to mid adult
- Lurvey – Male: Older teen to adult
- Goose, Spectator, Fair Judge, Fairgoer – Female: Teen to adult
- Gander, Spectator, Fair Judge, Fairgoer – Male: Teen to adult
- The Old Sheep, Lamb (Puppet), Fair Judge, Fairgoer – Male or Female: Teen to adult
- Templeton the Rat – Male: Older teen to adult
- First Narrator – Male or Female: Teen to adult
- Second Narrator – Male or Female: Teen to adult
- Third Narrator – Male or Female: Teen to adult
NOTE: Narrator may be combined into one person.
- Reporter, Uncle Pig – Male: Larger teen or adult
NOTE: Preteens may be considered for some of the animal roles.